From: "Strand, Paul" <pstrand at desmoine dot gannett dot com>
Subject: Command line vs. Apache
Date: Feb 25 2010 10:26PM

I have a perl CGI script that works when I run it at the command line (Mac OS X 10.4.8 Server), but in the browse stops rendering the page at:

$dbh = DBI->connect('DBI:Sybase:server=SRVR;database=db','USERNAME','PASSWORD');

This is working on another 10.4.8 box set up by people who don't work here anymore.  I finally got it working on the command line by updating:

    BEGIN {
        $ENV{SYBASE} = '/Sybase';
    }

in the script.  The original author has this too, but with the "wrong path" ("/usr/local").  What appears to be common to these two paths is the "interfaces" file, so I'm guessing we just put things in different places.

I'm sorry if this is a more general perl question or a more general apache question, but how does one even start debugging something that works at the command line, but not in Apache?  I verified both spit out 5.8.6 as the version number.

Thanx,
Paul