From: Emmanuel Quevillon <tuco at pasteur dot fr>
Subject: Re: DBIx::Class and Sybase
Date: Apr 14 2008 3:14PM

todd.e.rinaldo@jpmorgan.com wrote:
> Grettings.
>
> Ok, so nobody laugh. Has anyone actually successfully implemented a
> DBIx::Class in Sybase? Would anyone be up for sharing an example or
> pointing me in the direction?
>
> Thanks,
> Todd Rinaldo
Hi Todd,

Yes, I am actually working a lot with Sybase and
DBIx::Class. As a good point you can have a look at the
Manual on CPAN for DBIx::Class. There are a lot of good
examples.
A problem I am facing very often is the support of columns
type. It looks like DBD::Sybase does not do the difference
between  VARCHAR, INT, etc.. thus it lead often to error
from sybase about it when querying or inserting data into
database. What I meant is that using DBIx::Class as showed
in example does not always work as expected like in the
example. It looks like DBIx::Class always quote values in
SQL query. So I don't really know if it is because of
DBD::Sybase or DBIx::Class itself. So be carefull with that.

So here is an example of a connection and query to Sybase
with DBIx::Class

my $schema =
MyDB->connect("dbi:Sybase:database=$dbname;server=$server",
$dbuser, $password, { AutoCommit => 1 });

my $dbh = $schema->storage()->dbh();

my $orgset =
$schema->resultset('MyDB::Organism')->search({id => $id});

while(my $o = $orgset->next()){
	print "ID=",$o->id(),"\n";
	print "Name=",$o->name(),"\n";

Each column as its own method with DBIx::Class which is very
useful.

Hope this little help will help to start.

Regards

Emmanuel
--
Emmanuel Quevillon