From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: DDL::Sybase
Date: Oct 24 2008 3:29PM

On Oct 23, 2008, at 12:53 AM, Edward Peschko wrote:

> All,
>
> Oracle has a very nice perl module associated with it - DDL::Oracle -
> it allows for dumping of procedures, indexes, tables, stored
> procedures, and so on, in a way that can be highly configured (ie:
> sizing can be kept, tweaked or removed, partitioning tweaked, table
> allocation changed)
>
> Does something like this exist for sybase? I basically want to be able
> to dump a database's ddl out and change how much space is allocated
> for each table (likewise with indexes). If not, does anybody have any
> ideas on where I could start, aside from scratch?

As Ed says - dbschema.pl, which we used back in the TCI days is
available, and is reasonably current. I don't think that it handles
partitioned tables (or at least not the semantic partitioning
available in ASE 15.x), but other than that it's pretty complete.
You'd have to hack it to turn it into a perl module, though.

dbschema.pl has been maintained until recently by David Owen, but I
haven't heard from him in a long time, and his web site has gone off-
air. A recent copy of dbschema.pl is available from http://www.peppler.org/downloads

Note that Sybase won't allow you to pre-allocate space for tables,
indexes, etc. the way Oracle does.

Michael Peppler              -                    Peppler Consulting
SaRL
mpeppler@peppler.org         -                     http://www.peppler.org
Sybase DBA/Developer         -      TeamSybase: http://www.teamsybase.com
Sybase on Linux FAQ          -      http://www.peppler.org/FAQ/linux.html