From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Using Perl to repliace tables between databeses.
Date: Jul 16 2007 6:24PM

Lenga, Yair wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a project where I have to create a "Warm backup" - system
> that has MOST of the data ready (1-2 hours delay data is OK). The
> important part is that it will ALWAYS be available. Rate of changes to
> the data is low (1% of data changes every day, 50MB data).
>
> Given that I do not have experience with replication, I ruled out trying
> to configure replication server for this project.

I think you should reconsider this (assuming that you have a rep server
license available). Setting up repserver (12.6 or later) using MSA
replication (database replication definitions) is quite simple, works
well, will handle most DDL changes, and will all in all be much simpler
than writing custom scripts to copy the data across.

Michael Peppler           -                 Peppler Consulting SaRL
mpeppler@peppler.org      -                  http://www.peppler.org
Sybase DBA/Developer      -   TeamSybase: http://www.teamsybase.com
Sybase on Linux FAQ       -   http://www.peppler.org/FAQ/linux.html