From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Turning a Sybase PRINT statement into a "result"
Date: Mar 24 2006 10:20AM

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 14:56 -0500, Rob Biedenharn wrote:

> If anyone's still with me, I have two questions:
>
> 1. Am I breaking anything with this?  In particular, I was surprised
> that "$sth->{syb_result_type} = CS_MSG_RESULT();" seemed to have no
> effect.

syb_result_type is a read-only attribute, so setting it like that won't
have any effect. It's even documented in the Statement Handle Attributes
section of the DBD::Sybase man page :-)

> 2. Is there a better way to accomplish this?  The existence of the
> CS_MSG_RESULT() makes me think there's something else...

A CS_MSG_RESULT result set is something completely different from the
messages retrieved via the client and server callbacks. See the
OpenClient Client Library reference manual (search for CS_MSG_RESULT).

I would store the result type in a different location to achieve the
desired behavior.

Michael Peppler  -  mpeppler@peppler.org  -  http://www.peppler.org/
Sybase DBA/Developer - TeamSybase: http://www.teamsybase.com/