From: michael dot peppler at bnpparibas dot com
Subject: Re: Syntax example of an Inset statement where it is selecting values from another table
Date: Mar 22 2006 3:14PM

You can do exactly the same thing in DBI - just submit the entire request:

$sth = $dbh->prepare("insert table (....) select ....from ... where ...");
$sth->execute;

Nothing magic about it at all!

Michael

Internet
Robert_Gorrebeeck@concentra.com@peppler.org - 22/03/2006 16:05

Sent by:    owner-sybperl-l@peppler.org

To:    sybperl-l

cc:

Subject:    Syntax example of an Inset statement where it is selecting
       values from another table

All

I am wondering if anyone has an example of an Inset statement where it is
selecting values from another table.

So for example in sql or a stored proc it would look like this

        Insert into table a (column1,
                         column2,
                         column3,
                         column4
        select(        column1,
                              column2,
                column3
                column4
        from table b

But am not sure of the syntax when using DBI
I know when I want to insert a row I can do this, but am not sure of the
syntax when I want to grab a bunch of rows from one table and insert them
into another.

$sth=$dbh->prepare(qq{INSERT INTO table b(column1, column2, column3,
column4) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?)});

I guess one solution is to loop thru the rows that I get returned via a
select statement but that seems like a waste of processing time

Any help would be appreciated

Robert Gorrebeeck
Concentra Online Services
972.725.6956
Robert_Gorrebeeck@concentra.com

****** CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE ******
NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may
contain legally privileged and confidential information intended solely for
the use of the addressee. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination,
distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete this message from your system.
Thank you.