From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: 64-bit/32-bit problems with DBI/DBD::Sybase on RHEL4 EM64T (x86_64)
Date: Feb 12 2006 3:29PM

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 16:19 +0100, Simon J Mudd wrote:
> For those who may be using 64-bit RHEL 4 and Sybase be careful if you
> only have access to the 32-bit version of Sybase.  The Sybase ASE binary
> and libraries work fine but they are only 32-bit. However the system
> perl is 64-bit.  This means that when building the DBD::Sybase library
> in order to use it from perl-DBI the compiler will attempt to build a 64-bit
> DBD::Sybase which will fail as the 32-bit Sybase OC libraries are IGNORED.
>
> I'm still working out how to resolve this problem, which means either
> switching to the 32-bit RHEL4 or obtaining the 64-bit libraries.
>
> I thought it might be useful for other people to know, unless someone has
> worked out how to resolve this issue.

The only way to resolve it is to have perl and the libraries that need
to be linked in be of the same type.

So you either need to rebuild perl in 32bit mode, or get the 64bit
versions of the libraries.

This is a known problem for all 64bit platforms (AIX, HP, Solaris)
although in that case the problem is usually the opposite. The system
perl binary is usually built in 32bit mode, but the Sybase installation
is a 64bit install.

Michael Peppler  -  mpeppler@peppler.org  -  http://www.peppler.org/
Sybase DBA/Developer - TeamSybase: http://www.teamsybase.com/