From: Simon J Mudd <sjmudd at pobox dot com>
Subject: 64-bit/32-bit problems with DBI/DBD::Sybase on RHEL4 EM64T (x86_64)
Date: Feb 12 2006 3:19PM

For those who may be using 64-bit RHEL 4 and Sybase be careful if you
only have access to the 32-bit version of Sybase.  The Sybase ASE binary
and libraries work fine but they are only 32-bit. However the system
perl is 64-bit.  This means that when building the DBD::Sybase library
in order to use it from perl-DBI the compiler will attempt to build a 64-bit
DBD::Sybase which will fail as the 32-bit Sybase OC libraries are IGNORED.

I'm still working out how to resolve this problem, which means either
switching to the 32-bit RHEL4 or obtaining the 64-bit libraries.

I thought it might be useful for other people to know, unless someone has
worked out how to resolve this issue.

Regards,

Simon