From: "Jason L dot Froebe" <jason at froebe dot net>
Subject: Re: DBD::Sybase support for TDS v8.0 ?
Date: Dec 10 2006 5:27AM

I would suspect that this is more of a FreeTDS issue than a DBD::Sybase
issue at this point as the TDS layer is handled within FreeTDS NOT with
DBD::Sybase.  First, I would verify that your build of FreeTDS can
actually connect to MS SQL Server with encryption enabled (which it can
IIRC).  Once you confirm that, then you should be able to create a test
script that should connect the the server with encryption enabled.
Basically, test the FreeTDS then DBD::Sybase.

jason

--- "Jonathan C. Detert"  wrote:

> I'm trying to use DBD::Sybase to connect to a Ms 'SQL server 2000' db
> instance that has its 'Force Protocol Encryption' check-box checked.
> For brevity, call this db instance 'jbar'.
>
> That check box means all data to/from jbar must be encrypted via ssl.
>
> As far as I can tell, the use of this feature adds a stipulation for
> TDS users:
>
>         the version of TDS must be 8.0
>
> I'm using freetds v.0.64 on a linux box.  The tsql binary that comes
> with freetds is able to connect to the jbar db instance.
>
> My DBD::Sybase test code is unable to connect to jbar if either one
> or
> both of the following condiditions is true:
>
>         1) the 'Force Protocol Encryption' box is checked (i.e. ssl
> is
>            required)
>
>         2) my free tds config specifies to use TDS v. 8.0
>
> I notice that the DBD::Sybase documentation
> (http://search.cpan.org/~mewp/DBD-Sybase-1.07/Sybase.pm) says nothing
> about TDS v7.0 or 8.0.  I am able to connect to jbar w. my test code
> if/when my free tds config specifies to use TDS 7.0 && ssl is not
> required by the mssql server.
>
> Am I missing something?  Is there a way to make DBD::Sybase speak to
> mssql server that requires ssl?
> --
> Happy Landings,
>
> Jon Detert
> IT Systems Administrator, Milwaukee School of Engineering
> 1025 N. Broadway, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202, U.S.A.

Jason L. Froebe

He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards." --- Terry Pratchett

WebBlog http://jfroebe.livejournal.com
Tech log http://www.froebe.net/blog

TeamSybase (http://www.teamsybase.com)
ISUG member (http://www.isug.com)