From: detertj at msoe dot edu (Jonathan C dot Detert)
Subject: DBD::Sybase support for TDS v8.0 ?
Date: Dec 8 2006 7:30PM

I'm trying to use DBD::Sybase to connect to a Ms 'SQL server 2000' db
instance that has its 'Force Protocol Encryption' check-box checked.
For brevity, call this db instance 'jbar'.

That check box means all data to/from jbar must be encrypted via ssl.

As far as I can tell, the use of this feature adds a stipulation for
TDS users:

        the version of TDS must be 8.0

I'm using freetds v.0.64 on a linux box.  The tsql binary that comes
with freetds is able to connect to the jbar db instance.

My DBD::Sybase test code is unable to connect to jbar if either one or
both of the following condiditions is true:

        1) the 'Force Protocol Encryption' box is checked (i.e. ssl is
           required)

        2) my free tds config specifies to use TDS v. 8.0

I notice that the DBD::Sybase documentation
(http://search.cpan.org/~mewp/DBD-Sybase-1.07/Sybase.pm) says nothing
about TDS v7.0 or 8.0.  I am able to connect to jbar w. my test code
if/when my free tds config specifies to use TDS 7.0 && ssl is not
required by the mssql server.

Am I missing something?  Is there a way to make DBD::Sybase speak to a
mssql server that requires ssl?
--
Happy Landings,

Jon Detert
IT Systems Administrator, Milwaukee School of Engineering
1025 N. Broadway, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202, U.S.A.