From: "Ashish Gupta" <ashish dot gupta at mizuho-sc dot com>
Subject: RE: sybperl and perl ithreads
Date: Sep 26 2005 6:42AM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I tried using parallel processing using forking, and found that for my
case linear processing is faster !

I checked 194 ase servers.

Logged in and checked to see if there are any log suspended or blocked
processes or if the number of used up locks is more than 80% of the max
configured. In case the server is down, or any of the check fails (i.e.,
there are blocked processes etc.) then I send an email. 8 servers were
down and 2 had blocked processes.

I used Parallel::ForkManager.
For max (10, 15, 20) processes, times were (34,35,34) seconds.

And without any forking, the time was 25 seconds.

So, seems for my case (1 CPU, program does a basic sybping kind of test,
program needs to write results in a log file), forking processes is not
worth while.
I was thinking that maybe there was blocking amongst processes to write
to the single log file ... but even if I remove writing to a log file,
for parallel processes, the time is about 34 seconds. So, this probably
is due to overhead related to forking new processes.

Anyway thanks for your tip.
I can try it for some other case.

Thanks and regards,
Ashish