From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: DBI->connect aka DBD::Sybase::db::_login fails with "no error string" - patch included
Date: Aug 25 2005 5:47PM

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 16:41 -0600, Scott Edwards wrote:
> DBI.pm is returning a literal "no error string" in $DBI::errstr after
> I attempt to connect to a mssql server.  I've provided source
> snippets, dbi trace output, and a patch I've made in an attempt to
> more clearly isolate the problem.  As far as I can guess, I think the
> _login function exists in XS code.  I have no idea why it's passing
> back a failure response, but not providing a helpfull error message
> with it. ("it's broke" is about as usefull.)

Agreed - but what this means is that no error string was recovered from
the underlying CT-Lib code, which means that the error callback was
never called.

My guess is this is a freetds bug - I would take it up on the freetds
mailing list.

Michael Peppler  -  mpeppler@peppler.org  -  http://www.peppler.org/
Sybase DBA/Developer