From: Matthew Persico <matthew dot persico at gmail dot com>
Subject: Re: DBD::Sybase 1.05_02 on CPAN
Date: Jul 7 2005 10:27PM

On 7/7/05, Michael Peppler  wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 12:11 -0400, Matthew Persico wrote:

[snip]

> The change *should* be transparent. The only issue that you may see is
> if you are running stored procedures in AutoCommit OFF mode, and the
> procs haven't been set (enabled) for the chained mode (see
> sp_procxmode).
> In that case it's a simple matter of executing sp_procxmode to enable
> CHAINED mode for the procedures.

So even if I missed the condition in testing, the production code
would fail, we execut sp_procxmode on the proc and re-run the job.

Is it a bad thing to blanketly sp_procxmode all procs ahead of time?

> Alternatively, build DBD::Sybase with the chained mode default off.
> (still, the chained mode is how AutoCommit is handled with Sybase for
> ODBC and JDBC, so I guess it makes sense to use it here as well.)

Yeah, but since 99.9999% of our coding is Perl, I don't worry about
J/ODBC. I might just build with default off to save myself the hassle.

--
Matthew O. Persico