From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: DBD::Sybase 1.05_02 on CPAN
Date: Jul 7 2005 7:11PM

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 12:11 -0400, Matthew Persico wrote:
> How soon might this be put in the field? I currently use
>
> sybase 12.0
> perl 5.6.1
> DBI 1.37
> DBD::Sybase 1.00
>
> We are upgrading to sybase 12.5 and so since we have to test anyway, I
> want to upgrade
> DBI to 1.48 and DBD::Sybase to the "right" version. We're doing the
> build in the next two weeks and testing over the next two months.
> Should I use 1.05? Wait for 1.06?

I'd wait for 1.06, and testing with 1.05_02 is a good idea...

> As far as I can see, the only changes between 1.00 and 1.06 that could
> break existing code are in 1.05:
>
>         BEHAVIOR CHANGE - $dbh->{LongReadLen} must now be called
> 	before $dbh->prepare(). Previously you could call this after
> 	the $dbh->prepare() but before the $sth->execute().

> 	Change default "AutoCommit" off mode from explicit transactions
> 	to using the "chained" mode if it is available.
>
> The former doesn't bother me - I don't think we have an LongReadLen
> references in our code and if we do, I suspect that the offending
> program will blow up spectacularly enough that we'll catch it and the
> fix is pretty easy.
>
> It's the second one that worries me. What should I be looking for in
> terms of code that would break with this change?

The change *should* be transparent. The only issue that you may see is
if you are running stored procedures in AutoCommit OFF mode, and the
procs haven't been set (enabled) for the chained mode (see
sp_procxmode).
In that case it's a simple matter of executing sp_procxmode to enable
CHAINED mode for the procedures.
Alternatively, build DBD::Sybase with the chained mode default off.
(still, the chained mode is how AutoCommit is handled with Sybase for
ODBC and JDBC, so I guess it makes sense to use it here as well.)

Michael Peppler  -  mpeppler@peppler.org  -  http://www.peppler.org/
Sybase DBA/Developer