From: Matthew Persico <matthew dot persico at gmail dot com>
Subject: Re: DBD::Sybase 1.05_02 on CPAN
Date: Jul 7 2005 4:11PM

How soon might this be put in the field? I currently use

sybase 12.0
perl 5.6.1
DBI 1.37
DBD::Sybase 1.00

We are upgrading to sybase 12.5 and so since we have to test anyway, I
want to upgrade
DBI to 1.48 and DBD::Sybase to the "right" version. We're doing the
build in the next two weeks and testing over the next two months.
Should I use 1.05? Wait for 1.06?

As far as I can see, the only changes between 1.00 and 1.06 that could
break existing code are in 1.05:

        BEHAVIOR CHANGE - $dbh->{LongReadLen} must now be called
	before $dbh->prepare(). Previously you could call this after
	the $dbh->prepare() but before the $sth->execute().

	Change default "AutoCommit" off mode from explicit transactions
	to using the "chained" mode if it is available.

The former doesn't bother me - I don't think we have an LongReadLen
references in our code and if we do, I suspect that the offending
program will blow up spectacularly enough that we'll catch it and the
fix is pretty easy.

It's the second one that worries me. What should I be looking for in
terms of code that would break with this change?

--
Matthew O. Persico