From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: NSQL question
Date: Jul 7 2005 5:15AM

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 17:52 -0400, Wechsler, Steven wrote:
> Michael --
>
> I've been wondering -
>
> If you use nsql() to return a large array or hash, does the memory for
> that array get automatically deallocated somehow? Or is that up to the
> calling script, otherwise the memory will only be retunred on script
> exit?

When the perl variable(s) that refer to the hash or array go out of
scope the memory is freed in the perl process. This means that perl can
reuse that memory for other things, but the memory is not returned to
the OS until the process exits. That's the normal behavior for just
about any OS/memory allocation system that I've ever used.

Michael Peppler  -  mpeppler@peppler.org  -  http://www.peppler.org/
Sybase DBA/Developer