From: Jay Listo <jay dot listo at gmail dot com>
Subject: Probably Trivial: Finding Largest Primary Key used in Table
Date: Jun 30 2005 11:16AM

Hi All,

This may sound trivial...but I've been trying to find out how to find
the largest primary key that's been assigned/used within a table.

I'm new to DB development while I have done some DBA.

It would save me trouble when I want to keep control of the primary
keys, make sure that when I insert a new record I can assign a unique
primary key.

I would like to do this using a perl script...not as some stored
procedure or constraint so as to keep it as DB independent (regardless
of Sybase, MySQL, Oracle, etc) as possible.

Best Regards,
Jay