From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Meaning of TYPE_NAME in type_info() output
Date: May 6 2005 6:27PM

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 18:37, Avis, Ed wrote:
> If I make a user-defined type synonym, should the name of this synonym
> appear as TYPE_NAME in the type_info() output or should TYPE_NAME give
> the original SQL type the synonym is defined as?
>
> Currently if I make a user-defined type on Sybase and use it for some
> column C of a table T, then for 'SELECT C FROM T' DBD::Sybase gives me
> the name of the user type.  I think I would prefer it to give the
> original SQL like 'varchar(10)' in the TYPE_NAME field, but I don't know
> what other DBDs do.

Can you show me an example?

I just tried it, using a user-defined type mapped to varchar(30), and
type_info() returns "char" (which is correct).

DBD::Sybase uses Sybase's sp_datatype_info catalog stored proc to get
the datatype information - this is so that we return the same
information that an ODBC or JDBC driver would get.

Michael Peppler  -  mpeppler@peppler.org  -  http://www.peppler.org/
Sybase DBA/Developer