From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Segmentation fault when running DBD::Sybase
Date: Apr 27 2005 5:13AM

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 00:21, Ravi Parimi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to install and run the DBD::Sybase module on CentOS 4
> (RH EL), but each time I run it, I get a segmentation fault. A simple
> command line statement like
>
> perl -MDBD::Sybase -e 1 also gives a seg fault.

To try to figure out why you get a seg fault please post the stack
trace. To get the stack trace you have to enable core dumps (ulimit -c
unlimited) and once you have a core dump use gdb to get the stack trace:
gdb `which perl` core.xxxx
gdb> bt

>  Here's the list of
> things I did to get the module installed on my machine:
>
> 1) Installed the following sybase rpms from
> http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1011127
>     sybase-openclient-11.1.1-3.i386.rpm
>     sybase-common-11.9.2-3
>     sybase-doc-11.9.2-1

What database server are you trying to talk to?
These libraries are very old - you would be better off getting ASE
12.5.3 - see http://www.sybase.com/linuxpromo/

> 2) Installed the freetds libraries http://www.freetds.org/software.html
>     The installation prefix was set to /usr/local/freetds

Again - what database server do you need access to? If it's a Sybase
server I would recommend not using FreeTDS at this time.

Michael Peppler  -  mpeppler@peppler.org  -  http://www.peppler.org/
Sybase DBA/Developer