From: michael dot peppler at bnpparibas dot com
Subject: Freeware tools with Sybase 4.9.2
Date: Apr 18 2005 11:19AM

Hi,

I've got an old 4.9.2 server that runs here (for archive purposes), and as
the machine is slowly dying we're working on moving the data to something a
little more current :-).

In so doing I've testing various tools that use 12.5 client libraries with
this old server.

sqsh (2.1.3) appears to work fine.
sybperl (at least the Sybase::DBlib part) works fine.
DBD::Sybase (1.05) does NOT work (some bug in the setup code where I fetch
the @@version string ends up with an "attempt to initiate new command with
results pending" error).
dbschema.pl (current version, from David Owen's web site) does NOT work,
and actually hangs the db server (I had to kill the dataserver process from
the OS to get it back)
However, the sybperl distribution has a dbschema.old file (in the eg/
directory) that dates back to 1995 or so and that only required minor
tweaking to work. It's not as complete as the current version, but it does
the job for me in this case.
The 12.5 isql and bcp (for bcp OUT operations) work fine.

Anyway - this is in case anyone else still has ante-diluvian code running
at their site... :-)