From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: need help compiling sybperl on win32
Date: Apr 8 2005 5:43PM

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 17:59, Vanlandingham, Debbie (Contractor) wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm having a problem installing sybperl on win32.
>
> Here is my session output when I follow the installation directions...
>
> Any ideas?  What am I missing here?
> I'm using perl from MKSToolkit....
> >>This is perl, v5.6.0 built for Intel
> >>Copyright 1987-2000, Larry Wall
> >>Win32 port Copyright (c) 1996-2002 by MKS Inc.
> >>MKS version 8.1 build 1352
>
> Thanks in advance , Debbie
>
> OUTPUT:
> C:\Program Files\sybperl>perl makefile.pl        (is this normal output??)
> Unknown Client Library version - assuming FreeTDS.

Yes - because the build process normally uses the Unix "strings" command
to extract the version of the OpenClient libraries from libct.a, and I
haven't ported this to the equivalent Windows calls (mostly because I
don't use Windows, personally)

As Joe Cummings says - I think you need to use Microsoft's nmake utility
instead of make.

An alternative that has worked for me is to install Cygwin and build
sybperl in that environment.

Michael Peppler  -  mpeppler@peppler.org  -  http://www.peppler.org/
Sybase DBA/Developer