From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: DBD::Sybase and historical server
Date: Mar 24 2005 7:31PM

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 19:29, Barlow, Ed wrote:
> I am having a rough time connecting to my historical server using DBI
> and am wondering if it is possible. The issue boils down to
>

> a)   in 1.04 DBD::Sybase trace reveals an “select @@version” and
> “Begin Tran DBI” -> neither of which are supported statements. This
> results in “user api layer: external error: This routine cannot be
> called until all fetchable results have been completely processed.”.
> Once screwed up, the connection seems to never recover and I get the
> same messages for all further queries.

That is indeed a problem that the 1.05 version tried to solve.

> b)    In 1.05 I seem to be having separate issues, perhaps because im
> unused to the syb_chained_txn option to DBI->connect, but I have tried
> all combinations I can think of.  Specifically I am getting

> “No SRV_OPTION handler installed.OpenClient message: LAYER = (1)
> ORIGIN = (1) SEVERITY = (1) NUMBER = (183)
>
> Server SYBHIST, database Message String: ct_options(): user api layer:
> external error: An error was returned from the server while setting
> the option

This should normally not be a problem - i.e. the connection should still
be valid. I have never tried to query the historical server with either
isql or anything else so I don't know what special handling may be
required.

Still you have rightly pointed out some problems which I had already
noticed (in particular I use DBD::Sybase for repserver access and I have
the same issue).

A fix for this problem will be made available soon.

> This looks like there is some implicit server interrogation going on
> which open server does not support. I have two questions.  Firstly,
> should I just bag it and run an isql from perl to do the
> connectivity?  Secondly, will I have similar issues when I start
> working on Sybase IQ???  Is DBD::Sybase not right for IQ – and if not
> what (besides DBD::ODBC) should I be using…

DBD::Sybase *should* work fine with IQ, although someone else was having
problems with variable binding/placeholders earlier today. I don't have
a lot of experience there.

Michael Peppler  -  mpeppler@peppler.org  -  http://www.peppler.org/
Sybase DBA/Developer