From: "Wechsler, Steven" <Steven dot Wechsler at mtvstaff dot com>
Subject: RE: What happens to a db-library handle on a fork?
Date: Feb 3 2005 5:40PM

That's what I suspected. Thanks.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Peppler [mailto:mpeppler@peppler.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 12:34 PM
To: 'sybperl-l@peppler.org'

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 17:35, Wechsler, Steven wrote:
> I'm creating a loop which will create multiple chld processes. Before
> the loop I open up a DB handle, which needs to stay open while this
> fork occurs, but the children do not need access to the database.
> Should I explicitly close the handle in each child, just ignore it, or
> do something else?

You should probably ignore it.

If you close it explicitly I suspect that the server will see that as the
connection being closed, and the parent will get an error if it tries to
access it.

Michael Peppler  -  mpeppler@peppler.org  -  http://www.peppler.org/ Sybase
DBA/Developer Sybase on Linux FAQ: http://www.peppler.org/FAQ/linux.html