From: Brian Nox <brian dot nox at gmail dot com>
Subject: Fwd: Sybase Lib not found while installing DBD::Sybase using FreeTDS
Date: Oct 25 2005 12:55PM

(re-send) Hi
I think I have a problem similar like this:

>> On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 19:38, Chen, Meeilei wrote:
>> My sybase is installed under /opt/SYBASE and I used to setup all my
>> SYBASE environmental variables to that directory. Now that I need to
>> connect to MSSQL also, I installed FreeTDS.
>
> [M.Peppler]
> But *where* did you install freetds?
> Where are the FreeTDS libraries located?
>
>>> On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 18:25, Chen, Meeilei wrote:
>>> I am trying to use Perl program to connect to both Sybase and MSSQL.
>>> [..]
>>> I installed FreeTDS .63.
>>> And I set env(SYBASE) to /usr/local/freetds and unset Sybase_ocs and
>>> LD_Library_path. when I tried to install DBD Sybase 1.04 I got message
>>> that "Can't find the lib directory under /usr/local/freetds" and there
>>> is no lib directory under the /usr/local/freetds. What am I missing?
>>
>> [M.Peppler]
>> Well - if the lib directory isn't under /usr/local/freetds, then where
>> is it?

Following the Linux Journal's article, I've downloaded the last
freetds version. Gunzip-ed and untar-ed it. Then:
 #cd /opt/freetds-0.64.dev.20051024
 #./configure --with-tdsver=7.0
 #make; make install

Here, the article says "by default FreeTDS installs to
/usr/local/freetds" but it does not. Since I have not changed the PATH
with the -prefix=(PATH) I don't know why it does not appear on that
location...

So, where's the freetds? I've tried with
 #export SYBASE=
                           /usr/local/freetds
                           /usr/local/lib
                           /opt/freetds-064.dev.20051024
But I'm sure I am wrong. By the way, many tds lib files (libct.la,
libsybdb.so, libtds.a, etc) appear under /usr/local/lib after
installation.

As a result of this, when I try to install DBD:sybase it fails:
 # cd /opt/DBD-Sybase-1.07
 # perl Makefile.pl
   Please set SYBASE in CONFIG, or set the $SYBASE environment
variable at Makefile.PL line 98,  line 44.

To sum up: I am not able to set a proper environment variable path for
SYBASE. Please help me! Thanks.