From: "Avis, Ed" <avised at kbcfp dot com>
Subject: RE: About prepared statements asnd transactions....
Date: Oct 12 2005 5:12PM

My two cents is that I'd prefer DBD::Sybase not to do anything behind my
back that involves making extra requests to the database - whether it be
opening a new connection or sucking in the rest of a result set from an
existing statement handle.  Ideally, I'd want DBD::Sybase to throw an
exception when I try to do something the database doesn't support.

The remedies people have proposed are all good ideas, but they should be
enabled only if explicitly asked for (probably with a flag or two at
connection time), and not the default.

I appreciate that to some extent we have to follow the existing
behaviour and not break compatibility - but don't add any more magic
workarounds unless they're something the programmer must be aware of and
deliberately ask for.

--
Ed Avis

---
This message may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived by any transmission to an unintended recipient.  If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender, not those of KBC Financial Products or any affiliate thereof.

This message does not create any obligation, contractual or otherwise, on the part of any such entity.  It is not an offer (or solicitation of an offer) of, or a recommendation to buy or sell, any financial product.  Any prices or other values included in this message are indicative only, and do not necessarily represent current market prices, the prices at which any KBC entity would enter into a transaction or the prices at which similar transactions may be carried on that entity's own books.   The information contained in this message is provided "as is", without representations or warranties, express or implied, of any kind.  Past performance is not indicative of future returns.