From: "Orton, Yves" <yves dot orton at de dot mci dot com>
Subject: RE: About prepared statements asnd transactions....
Date: Oct 12 2005 9:14AM

Michael Peppler wrote on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 7:11 AM
> On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 19:01 -0400, Edward J. Sabol wrote:
> > Yves Orton wrote:
> > > The main issue for me is that currently prepared handles +
> > > transasctions are dangerous.
>
> >  DBD::Mysql and
> > DBD::Pg (for older versions of PostgreSQL only) emulate the
> capability of
> > having multiple active sth's per dbh by reading all the data from an
> > unfinished sth into memory when a second sth is executed. I
> suggested adding
> > similar emulation of this capability to DBD::Sybase to
> Michael in February
> > 2004, but nothing came of it, AFAIK.
>
> It's feasible, but it is potentially problematic if the original $sth
> has a lot of pending data. I guess it could be an option.

I think it should maybe be the default. I think the gebneral belief is that
you should be able to write code that doesn't use transactions and wrap it
in a transaction and have it work. (Assuming the server can handle the
transaction size.)

Maybe this is an incorrect belief but I think its probably a common one.

Cheers,
Yves