From: "Edward J dot Sabol" <sabol at alderaan dot gsfc dot nasa dot gov>
Subject: Re: About prepared statements asnd transactions....
Date: Oct 11 2005 11:01PM

Yves Orton wrote:
> The main issue for me is that currently prepared handles +
> transasctions are dangerous.

They are? How so exactly? I've used prepare_cached() within transactions in
several Web applications in a mod_perl environment for a couple years now and
I haven't encountered any problems.

Do you mean "*active* statement handles"? Like when you have an active
statement handle and then you prepare/execute another statement handle which
transparently opens up a separate DBI connection? Because that can lead to
inconsistent transactional behavior. It would be really nice if DBD::Sybase
could better support multiple active sth's over a single dbh. I know this is
still one of the problems preventing easy porting of Bugzilla to Sybase.
While, it's arguably poor program design to need multiple active statement
handles, most every DBD supports it *except* for DBD::Sybase. DBD::Mysql and
DBD::Pg (for older versions of PostgreSQL only) emulate the capability of
having multiple active sth's per dbh by reading all the data from an
unfinished sth into memory when a second sth is executed. I suggested adding
similar emulation of this capability to DBD::Sybase to Michael in February
2004, but nothing came of it, AFAIK.