From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Sybperl2.17 Installation
Date: Sep 24 2004 3:46PM

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 15:23, Matthew.Persico@Lazard.com wrote:
> My USD0.02:
>
> As both a Perl programmer and the de-facto Perl environment manager here, I side
> with your admin. The FIRST installation of any version of any CPAN  module
> should never go into the default perl tree.

Yes - you are of course absolutely right about this. One should always
test any new thing before putting it into production.

I wouldn't dream of applying a Sybase EBF to a production server without
testing it on a development/test system first, and the same is true for
just about any software package.

> Also, I tend to define installation late at the install stage:
>
> make test install PREFIX=/mylib
>
> That way, I don't have to re-execute (or forget to re-execute) perl Makefile.PL
> every time I change the installation location.

That's a good suggestion as is the suggestion to place local modules in
non-system directories. That's always been my practice as well.