From: Matthew dot Persico at Lazard dot com
Subject: Re: Sybperl2.17 Installation
Date: Sep 24 2004 1:23PM

My USD0.02:

As both a Perl programmer and the de-facto Perl environment manager here, I side
with your admin. The FIRST installation of any version of any CPAN  module
should never go into the default perl tree.

We all know that Michael is an absolute computer god/genius :-), but even the
best of us make mistakes. Install it someplace else. Test it. When you are
satisfied, then ask your UNIX admin where CPAN modules are supposed to be
loaded. Chances are that the admins will update the tree, they just don't want
every Perl programmer individually willy-nilly mucking up the base tree on a box
(even a development one) that is used by more than one programmer and possbily
by the operating system itself.

Also, I tend to define installation late at the install stage:

make test install PREFIX=/mylib

That way, I don't have to re-execute (or forget to re-execute) perl Makefile.PL
every time I change the installation location.

Other random thoughts:

Only CPAN modules should end up in your Perl tree. In-house modules should be
installed someplace else and PERL5LIB should be set up in machine-level
profiles. Its a bit more bookkeeping, but it allows you to ahve different
machines for different purposes with differing modules sets and yet build one
perl distribution on a master box and copy it out to all your other boxes,
instead of rebuilding perl on each individual box. Of course, it depends on how
big your organization is.

We keep perl in /opt/perl, not /usr/local/. Why?

1)  Generic catch-basins are sloppy. You never know what's in there
version-wise. You never know if you can safely replace it. They are the result
of Bad Laziness (as opposed to Good Laziness, as defined by Larry Wall) by the
those who can't find it themselves to maintain a proper PATH variable in
/etc/profile.

If you build perl with prefix = /opt/perl, you end up with

      /opt/perl/bin
      /opt/perl/lib/5.6.1
      /opt/perl/man

By tweaking the config even more, we have

      /opt/perl/bin/5.6.1
      /opt/perl/lib/5.6.1
      /opt/perl/man/5.6.1

Now I can safely install all versions of perl side by side w/o interference.

2) Most *nix distributions today come with perl in /usr/bin and it is required
for proper operating system operation. In that case, I would NEVER install CPAN
modules into the default tree. Put them someplace else and modify PERL5LIB for
all non-administrative logins only. You don't know what effect an upgrade or an
addition will have on the adminsitration of your box otherwise.

3) Perl is worthy of being treated like its own product. Why mix it with the
riff-raff in the /usr/local neighborhood?

Ok, so that was more than USD 0.02.

--
Matthew Persico
Vice President