From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: RE: Segfault with Sybase::DBlib bcp
Date: Aug 4 2004 12:18PM

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 14:04, Avis, Ed wrote:
> Michael Peppler wrote:
>
> >>This program causes a segfault:
>
> >>    $Db_fde_bcphdl->bcp_meminit(1);
> >>    $Db_fde_bcphdl->bcp_batch;
>

> >Sending me a stack trace from the core would be useful.
>
> #0  0x4013e34a in bcp__endbatch () from /usr/local/sybase/lib/libsybdb.so
> #1  0x4013e2f6 in bcp_batch () from /usr/local/sybase/lib/libsybdb.so
> #2  0x400f97e1 in XS_Sybase__DBlib_bcp_batch ()

Right - that's what I thought. The segfault happens in the Sybase libs -
not much I really want to do about this. Sybase::DBlib and Sybase::CTlib
are supposed to be thin wrappers around the Sybase APIs. If that
sequence of calls causes a segfault, well, I guess that shows that the
program is incorrect :-)

I don't really want to carry init flags around making sure that the
correct sequence has been followed, although if you want to code a patch
to handle this I'll definitely look at it.

On a slightly different tack - Sybase's DBlibrary is really getting old
now, and a lot of the functionality that you need in interfacing with
ASE is no longer supported (for DB-Lib's BCP API: you can't load data to
a DOL table, for example) so I don't really see the point of spending
much time enhancing the Sybase::DBlib module (unless there's a
glaring/severe bug somewhere, but that's pretty unlikely after 10
years...)