From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: RE: :Sybase 1.03 / sybperl 2.17
Date: Jun 14 2004 2:48PM

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 16:35, Pantera, Joseph F. wrote:
>  Michael:
> 	Hate to respond to this with a "generality" kind of question,
> but I ended up kind of "dropping off" of the use of Sybperl after we
> migrated over to MSSQL (from Sybase last year..., "not my decision").

Too bad...

> My questions relate to MSSQL connectivity.  I'm not going to ask about
> the generic "DBD::MSSQL" type of question I see posted all over the
> internet...  However, I wasn't supported in my desire to get an ODBC
> connectivity via my Unix / Apache web servers here (where I used all of
> my Sybperl CGI scripts).  I've either lost this functionality, tried to
> come up with "other means", or coped in one way or another...
>
> 	Was just re-reading some old doc on "connecting to MSSQL2000 via
> DBD::Sybase using TDS 7.0 legacy support" (via FreeTDS and setting up
> config to use 7.0).

I don't have an MSSQL server handy to test, but here's the situation as
I understand it:

Sybase's OpenClient Client-Library works with MS-SQL 6.x, and 7 sp2 (or
sp3). The connection drops down to TDS 4.2, so no placeholder support,
no numeric/decimal, no wide varchars. It does NOT work at all with
MS-SQL 2k.

Sybase's OpenClient DB-Library works, provided that
dbsetversion(DBVERSION_100) is NOT called.

FreeTDS's implementation of Client Library works with all versions of
MS-SQL, but not all the CT-Lib functionality has been implemented - in
particular placeholder support (ct_dynamic() and friends) aren't there
yet (AFAIK).

To translate this to perl APIs - DBD::Sybase can be used with MS-SQL by
building/installing FreeTDS, Sybase::DBlib can be used with Sybase's
OpenClient installation (AFAIK - untested!), and Sybase::CTlib can be
used with FreeTDS.

Discussion of FreeTDS issues is on the FreeTDS mailing list (more info
at http://www.freetds.org), though issues relating directly to
DBD::Sybase (or Sybase::CT/DBlib) are of course welcome here.

Michael