From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: The late SybTools and MSSQL
Date: May 20 2004 5:50PM

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 17:59, Owen, Robert wrote:
> Apologies if this has been posted before but...
>
> I have a pile of legacy perl code that runs on AIX against a Sybase
> database.    It uses SybTools.pm version 1.3.   I'm far too lazy to
> touch it!
>
> Naturally, it now must run against MSSQL server on AIX.
>
> Now I believe that DBI::Sybase can talk to MSSQL however SybTools uses
> CTlib.   BooHoo:(    But the code only uses ArrayOfHash, ExecSql and
> HashOfScalar from SybTools.    Should I / could I hack SybTools to use
> BDlib instead??

Actually, DBD::Sybase and Sybase::CTlib use the same underlying
interface. To get them to talk to MS-SQL you have to use the FreeTDS
libraries instead of the Sybase libs (see http://www.freetds.org/ for
details).

I would suggest that you convert your scripts to use the Sybase::Simple
module, which is the evolution of SybTools, and which is still actively
developed.

And modifying Sybase::Simple to work on top of DBD::Sybase (or
Sybase::DBlib) should be pretty straightforward if you needed to do
that.