From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Dumps
Date: May 4 2004 6:37PM

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 20:22, Anton Ganeshalingam wrote:
> Hi,
> 	we are in a process of converting our operating system from Windows
> 2000 to Linux. We are using SYBASE 12.5. Is there any tool there that can do
> dumbs from one operating system to another (ex: Windows 2000 to Linux)

This should probably be sent to ase-linux-list@isug.com, or to
news://forums.sybase.com/sybase.public.ase.linux, but I guess I can give
an initial answer.

First, the database dumps taken on your Win2k box will (normally) be
loadable to your linux database server. This is not supported by Sybase,
but in general it will work. You should make sure that both servers use
the same sort orders and character sets before proceeding, and you
should probably drop and recreate your stored procs and triggers to be
on the safe side.

Alternatively, you can use the "sybmigrate" tool that is included in ASE
12.5.0.3. Another alternative is to do the migration manually - extract
the DDL from the Win2k box (with dbschema, or ddlgen, or some other
tool), and then use bcp to copy all of the data between the servers.
I've used this technique several times, and it isn't too hard.

As a last point - I should mention that from what I hear Sybase will
support cross-platform dumps for the same architecture in the near
future (I think I heard Q3 2004) - you should probably contact someone
at Sybase for details.