From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Problems compiling Sybperl 2.16 on Solaris 9
Date: Mar 26 2004 11:09PM

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 12:25, Steve Wechsler wrote:
> Got the following errors in make test:
>
> t/2_ct_xblk............
> Open Client Message:
> Message number: LAYER = (0) ORIGIN = (0) SEVERITY = (0) NUMBER = (0)
> Message String: blk_init(): blk layer: internal BLK-Library error:
> Failed when CT_Lib routine ct_fetch(BLK_IN_GET_FMT) called.

Here's what Neal Stack (Sybase SDK engineering) had to say about this:

> There is a new feature in 12.5.1 where you can use special characters like
> square brackets in table and database names. It went into ASE 12.5.1 but
> SDK 12.5.1 missed it.  They filed the following bug:
>     346906 - SDK needs to support Microsoft SQL extensions like square
>     brackets

At first sight this doesn't appear to be linked to the test script, as,
AFAIK, we don't make use of this in the sybperl test scripts.

However, the error below:

> t/3_bcp................Argument "f2" isn't numeric in subtraction (-)
> at /opt/sybperl-2.16/blib/lib/Sybase/BCP.pm line 471,  line 1.

happens because the test script can't convert the column name 'f2' to
it's column number, which normally happens before the bcp/blk operation
is run, by fetching the appropriate data from the system tables (see
BCP/BCP.pm, the _gettabinfo() subroutine).

This doesn't really get us any further, but maybe there is something in
the configuration of the server that causes *something* not to work
(access to system tables?)

Are you running the test as the "sa" user?