From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Sybperl and Activestate Perl
Date: Mar 10 2004 8:54PM

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 12:36, Steve Wechsler wrote:
> Anyone else using Active perl here? I'm trying to install Sybperl on
> Active perl build 809 (perl v. 5.8.3) for Win32 and there doesn't seem
> to be anything in the sybperl-2.16.tar.gz file in the ppm library. I
> downloaded the file without ppm and it's only 45 bytes.

You could try looking in http://www.peppler.org/downloads/ActiveState -
Darin Delegal has submitted a few binaries for Win32/ActiveState that
might work for you.

Here's what he says WRT installing these packages:
--------
ActiveState comes with a program called "Perl Package Manager" or PPM.
This program connects to online package databases and allows searching
by package name or keyword. Packages consist of a .ppd file which
contains all the descriptive information about a package as well as one
or more gzipped tars (one each for each build/OS). Once a search is
performed, packages can be downloaded and automatically
extracted/installed. PPM also allows querying and maintenance of
installed packages including the ability to search for and install
updates. Packages can also be installed from a local directory rather
than a URL.

The packages I've provided as ZIP files need to be extracted to a local
directory. Run PPM by going to a command prompt on a machine with
ActiveState installed and typing "PPM3" at the command prompt. At the
PPM prompt, type "install pathname\filename.ppd". The pathname\filename
needs to be the fully qualified path and filename of the .ppd file from
the zip.

PPM will determine the appropriate OS destination and select the right
tarball and install the package. The zips I've created have two possible
destinations: MSWin32-x86-multi-thread (perl 5.6.x) and
MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5.8 (perl 5.8.x). As you probably know, perl
5.8.x changed the binary format for modules, and therefore requires a
separate build/install. I simply build your product up through the "make
test" step, and then create a gzipped tar of the blib directory. I then
run "make ppd" to create the .ppd file. Once I have the .ppd files from
both builds, I combine them into one (note the two implementation tags
in the file) and make sure that they specify the correct subdirectories
based on the architecture name. The architecture name is reported by the
perl install and PPM uses this to figure out which tar to install.
-------

I have not tested these modules myself.