From: "Calder, Erick" <ECalder at westernasset dot com>
Subject: RE: bcp_init crashes perl
Date: Dec 27 2004 10:39PM

this is turning into a monologue... :)

seems I haven't fixed the problem by using a database that allows bulk-copies... next I used the even simpler little program (which causes perl to dump core):

> use Sybase::DBlib;
>
> $bcp = Sybase::DBlib->new('developer1', 'xmas', 'udevgdr2')
>     || die $!;
> $bcp->bcp_init('STAGING.dbo.ec_tst', '', '', DB_IN);

anyone that read the original post will notice the database is different (this one allows buik-copies).

the curious thing is that:

> use Sybase::BCP;
>
> $bcp = new Sybase::BCP 'developer1', 'xmas', 'udevgdr2';
> $bcp->config(INPUT => 'tst.bcp',
>     OUTPUT => 'STAGING.dbo.ec_tst',
>     SEPARATOR => '|'
>     );
> $bcp->run;

works ok but my direct call to DBlib's bcp_init fails... I also tried specifying an error file in the bcp_init() call but it writes nothing.  in fact, simply trying to step into bcp_init() in the perl debugger cuases perl to crash.

grr...

one other thing I noticed.  I intentionally misspelled the server name and tested it... instead of returning an error, the call to ->new() caused perl to dump core... so, something nasty's going on in here.

help anyone?

- e

E-mail sent through the Internet is not secure. Western Asset therefore recommends that you do not send any confidential or sensitive information to us via electronic mail, including social security numbers, account numbers, or personal identification numbers. Delivery, and or timely delivery of Internet mail is not guaranteed. Western Asset therefore recommends that you do not send time sensitive or action-oriented messages to us via electronic mail.