From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Unresolved symbols during "make test" for Sybperl 2.17
Date: Nov 28 2004 1:44PM

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 02:47, Philip Chan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While building Sybperl 2.17 onto my HP box I'm getting a number of
> unresolved symbols, it looks like I missed a library or something.
> Can someone please shed me any idea what was wrong there?

This should probably go on the sybperl-l mailing list.

> The "make" command ran well, and error messages during "make test"
> were attached.

>         PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /opt/perl-5.8.5-acc/bin/perl
> "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib',
> 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
> t/1_db_dblib...........ok
> t/1_db_money...........ok
> t/2_ct_ctlib.........../usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: sem_post
> (code)  from /opt/sybase/OCS-12_0/lib/libcomn_r.sl
> /usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: sem_destroy (code)  from
> /opt/sybase/OCS-12_0/lib/libcomn_r.sl
> /usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: sem_trywait (code)  from
> /opt/sybase/OCS-12_0/lib/libcomn_r.sl
> /usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: sem_wait (code)  from
> /opt/sybase/OCS-12_0/lib/libcomn_r.sl
> /usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: sem_init (code)  from
> /opt/sybase/OCS-12_0/lib/libcomn_r.sl

I've never seen this particular issue, though this appears to be linked
to the multi-threading libraries.

I would start by using nm in /usr/lib to see which library defines these
symbols - on my linux box this is libpthread.a - so maybe the problem is
that your perl binary isn't linked with -lpthread, or that you need to
add -lpthread to the list of libraries that need to be linked on HP-UX.