From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Problem with Sybperl installation
Date: Nov 23 2004 1:43PM

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 21:52, JAMES FELLEY wrote:
> We recently moved from one Sun machine (running OS 2.9) to another.
> Sybase was copied from one machine to the other, and I manually
> installed the /usr/local/perl (5.8.5) and sybperl-2.17.  Now a strange
> situation has been revealed:
>

> While testing the Sybperl module for read/write/delete abilities, it
> became apparent that while I was working on the new machine, the
> scripts were communicating with the old machine.  Numerous tests and
> running isql on each machine showed this to be the case.  When the old
> machine was turned off, Sybperl stopped working with the message:

>    ŽDB-Library error:
>
>         Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not
> exist.

This is probably not linked with sybperl or perl, but rather with the
Sybase installation (and possibly with environment variables)

Things to check:

1. What does $SYBASE point to?
2. What does the $SYBASE/interfaces file look like?

You may want to check a minimal perl script, maybe something like:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

use Sybase::DBlib;

print "SYBASE = $ENV{SYBASE}\n";
my $dbh = new Sybase::DBlib 'user', 'pwd', 'server';

(with correct values for user, pwd and server, of course).