From: jmcallister at dtint dot com
Subject: success building sybperl-2.17_3 for MacOS X
Date: Nov 17 2004 11:04PM

Thanks for everyone's input. I was able to successfully build SybPerl for
MacOS X 10.3.6 and Sybase ASE 12.5.2 using Michael's 2.17_3 build.

1. Unpack the sybperl tarball.
2. Edit CONFIG file and set DBLIBVS=0 so the DBlib module isn't built.
3. Make sure SYBASE and SYBASE_OCS environment variables are set to
"/Applications/Sybase/System" and "OCS-12_5" respectively.
4. Run "perl Makefile.PL".
5. Edit CTlib/Makefile. Change the lines that set EXTRALIBS and LDLOADLIBS
to read:

        EXTRALIBS = -L/Applications/Sybase/System/OCS-12_5/lib -framework
SybaseOpenClient -framework CoreFoundation
        LDLOADLIBS = -L/Applications/Sybase/System/OCS-12_5/lib -framework
SybaseOpenClient -framework CoreFoundation

6. Run "make" and "make test". The tests dependent on DB-library will
fail, but the CTlib stuff tests okay.
7. Run "make install".

I've since tested it with a few quick Perl scripts that query the local
database.

BTW, according to Sybase documentation, DB-library wasn't included in the
framework because it wasn't threadsafe.

James McAllister
Digital Technology International