From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Is it possible to preset the SYBASE_OCS variable?
Date: Nov 4 2004 7:47AM

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 08:15, Christian Behrens wrote:
> > Actually at run-time you don't need the SYBASE_OCS variable, AFAIK. What
> > *is* needed is for the run-time linker (ld.so on most systems) to find
> > the Sybase libraries. This is done either by having LD_LIBRARY_PATH set
> > correctly, by having correct entries in /etc/ld.so.conf or by making
> > sure that the full path of the .so files is stored in the binaries (e.g.
> > using the -R linker option on Solaris).
>
> Looks like editing /etc/ld.so.conf did it.

I'll also point out that you can't set an environment variable (such as
LD_LIBRARY_PATH) in a script and have it affect the script itself. It
can only affect child processes. So it is not possible to pre-set
anything in the environment in the sybperl source so that it will pick
up the correct libraries at run-time - such settings *have* to be made
outside of sybperl (in the parent process, or by some other linker
directive such as the ld.so.conf file on linux systems).