From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Is it possible to preset the SYBASE_OCS variable?
Date: Nov 3 2004 8:16PM

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 21:06, Christian Behrens wrote:
> I apologize if this has been asked before, but I searched the archive and
> haven't found a real answer.
>
> Here's the situation:
>
> I've been asked to look into setting up SybPerl (current release 2.17_3) in
> a way that the Sybase environment doesn't have to be set to run scripts.

> Now, as we use Sybase 12.5, there are no SYBASE/include & SYBASE/lib
> directories, thus I had to set links to OCS/lib and OCS/include,
> respectively.

Actually at run-time you don't need the SYBASE_OCS variable, AFAIK. What
*is* needed is for the run-time linker (ld.so on most systems) to find
the Sybase libraries. This is done either by having LD_LIBRARY_PATH set
correctly, by having correct entries in /etc/ld.so.conf or by making
sure that the full path of the .so files is stored in the binaries (e.g.
using the -R linker option on Solaris).

> Also, the comment about EMBED_SYBASE that "setting the SYBASE environment
> variable will have no effect" doesn't seem to be true (anymore?), as
> CTlib.pm and DBlib.pm have this:
>
> BEGIN {
>     if(!$ENV{'SYBASE'}) {
>         $ENV{'SYBASE'} = '/usr/global/opt/sybase';
>     }
> }
>
> That suggests to me that a previously set SYBASE env var would have
> preference, no?

Correct - the documentation is out-of-date.

> I tried to simply extend the above to also set SYBASE_OCS, but the symbolic
> links were still needed in order to find the libraries.

What platform are you on?