From: "Avis, Ed" <avised at kbcfp dot com>
Subject: RE: Feature request: set maximum number of connections
Date: Jan 27 2004 8:46AM

Michael Peppler wrote:

>>I can see that the way to change this is to define MAX_CONNECT in
>>dbdimp.c.  It would be useful to set this limit from Perl somehow.
>>I looked at the code, but I can't see where syb_init() is being
>>called.
>
>syb_init() is called when the XS boot loader is called (i.e. when
>DBD::Sybase is "use'd", usually by DBI).

Ah, I see how this works:

#define dbd_init        syb_init

>Care to think of ways that the syb_init() function could get this
>value (consider how it gets the hostname, for example).

I don't know if it has to be set in syb_init().  Perhaps ctlib will
be happy to set it later, although before opening the first
connection.  If not, perhaps you'd need something like

    require DBD::Sybase;
    $DBD::Sybase::max_connections = 100;
    use DBI;
    # connect with DBI as normal

I wouldn't want to put the number into the DBI connection string since
it is a property of the whole DBD::Sybase library, not one handle.

--
Ed Avis