From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Feature request: set maximum number of connections
Date: Jan 26 2004 11:11PM

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 01:19, Avis, Ed wrote:
> When trying to open more than 25 connections at once with DBD::Sybase
> I get the error
>
> Message String: ct_connect(): user api layer: external error: The
> maximum number of connections have already been opened.
>
> I can see that the way to change this is to define MAX_CONNECT in
> dbdimp.c.  It would be useful to set this limit from Perl somehow.  I
> looked at the code, but I can't see where syb_init() is being called.

syb_init() is called when the XS boot loader is called (i.e. when
DBD::Sybase is "use'd", usually by DBI). I don't remember off-hand if
this value can be set once a connection has been opened, though I would
imagine that it should be possible to make this a dynamic configuration
variable somewhere.

Care to think of ways that the syb_init() function could get this value
(consider how it gets the hostname, for example).