From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at mbay dot net>
Subject: Re: SybPerl Make Error
Date: Jan 21 2004 5:50PM

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 08:43, Craig Anderson wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I would appreciate your comments on the following error messages
>
> make
> Manifying ../blib/man3/Sybase::BCP.3
> Manifying ../blib/man3/Sybase::BLK.3
> Skip ../blib/lib/Sybase/CTlib.pm (unchanged)
> Skip ../blib/lib/Sybase/CTlib.pod (unchanged)
> cc -c -I/apps/sybase/include  -xO3 -xdepend     -DVERSION=\"2.14\"  -DXS_VERSION=\"2.14\" -KPIC -I/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/Cc
> cc: unrecognized option `-KPIC'

The problem is that you are trying to use a perl binary built with a
different C compiler from the one installed on your system.

This is unfortunately difficult to do, because perl records
compiler-specific switches in its Config.pm file (created at build
time), and perl extensions usually look there to figure out how to build
extensions on the current system.

The easiest way to fix this is to build a local perl binary from source
with your current C compiler.