From: Peter Sinnott <psinnottie at aol dot com>
Subject: Re: Compiling using gcc on Solaris 9
Date: Jan 9 2004 9:58AM

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 09:49:03AM +0000, Adam Naylor wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I'm probably being extremely stupid here - been using sybperl for ages but
> I know very little about makefiles and gcc.
>
> I'm trying to compile using:
> sybperl-2.16
> perl v5.6.1
> Solaris 9 (32-bit)/SPARC
> Sybase 12.5.1
> Open Client 12.5.1
> gcc 3.3.2
>
> I'm sure I compiled with gcc before, but that was on Solaris 2.6/Sybase
> 11.5.1 and several years ago.  I get the following:
>

> cc -c -I/sybase/OCS-12_5/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -xO3
> -xdepend   -DVERSION=\"2.16\" -DXS_VERSION=\"2.16\" -KPIC
> -I/usr/perl5/5.6.1/lib/sun4-solaris-64int/CORE -DCTLIBVS=100 -DSYBPLVER='"2.16"'
> -DDO_TIE CTlib.c
>
> I did try linking gcc->cc but gcc didn't like the cmdline options it was
> passed (surprise!)
>
> Any ideas?  It's probably something daft as this is a new Solaris install
> and I'm bound to have forgotten something.  Can't find anything in the FAQ
> about compiling using gcc though.

Hi,
        it looks like the version of perl in your path was compiled
with cc. The compiler and command line options used to compile
extentions are automatically picked up from those used to
compile perl. You can see these settings if you run perl -V and look in the
compiler section. If you have any other perl installs on the box you
should check what compiler they were built with.

--
We have committed to continually maintain business benefits in order to
solve business problems