From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Trying to reach sybperl list, no luck
Date: Sep 10 2003 5:30PM

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 08:38, Matthew.Persico@Lazard.com wrote:
> Sorry for the intrusion, but can someone familar with sybase please reply? The
> emails to the sybperl list and owner keep bouncing back.

Should be back up now.

> Thanks
>
> --
> Subject: Compiling Sybperl 2.15 and Sybase 12.5, 64 bit client
>
> There is a 50-50 chance that this is my problem, i.e, a busted installation, but
> I'll throw this out there just in case.
>
> 1) While compiling Sybperl 2.15 and Sybase 12.5, 64 bit client, the config.pl
> script couldn't determine the CTLib Client version because it is performs as
> trings command on libct.a and we only had a libct.so file. If that's a busted
> installation, never mind. If not, then maybe config.pl should read
>
>     my $version = `strings $lib/libct.a $lib/libct.so`;

My version has:

    my $libct;

    foreach (qw(libct.a libct.so libct64.a libct64.so)) {
        $libct = "$lib/$_";
        last if -e $libct;
    }

    my $version = `strings $libct`;

which should find the version string in one of the appropriate library
files (although I should probably test for libct.dll and libct.sl as
well...)

> 2) Installation couldn't find libbrk because is it named libbrk_64. Is that a
> busted installation (no libbrk link or no explicit file with that name), or a
> bad configuration check?

I don't know - is that libblk that you mean? Could you send me an ls -l
of the OCS/lib directory?

> Note that DBD-Sybase compiled and tested with no complaints. Weird, since they
> both use CTLib, yes?

Yes, but the config may be slightly different, and DBD::Sybase doesn't
need the -lblk/-lblk64 library as it doesn't use the blk_...()
functionality.