From: Ashley <ahitchcock at infocomp dot com>
Subject: sybperl and sar conflict ?
Date: Apr 9 2003 6:54AM

I have an unusual problem recently on a redhat 8.0 server.

I have several cron jobs which start perl scripts which use the sybperl
module and they successfully work.

recently I have been using a simple perl script on a sun box which runs the

open(SAR_OUTPUT,"sar -u 15 19 |") || die;

command and parses the average and logs it to a ase server for reporting.

I have tried to use this on a redhat 8.0 with no luck.

I have slowly cut down the script and the following works:
=====================
#!/usr/bin/perl
system ("sar 1 10");
=====================

while the following will hang
#!/usr/bin/perl
use Sybase::CTlib;
system ("sar 1 10");
and only produce the header information (i.e. Linux 2.4.18-14smp .......)

has any one seen this behaviour before.

thanks for help or suggestions someone can give
Ashley