From: "McCarthy, John" <JMcCarthy at citistreetonline dot com>
Subject: SYBASE Env Var
Date: Apr 4 2003 8:04PM

We have several versions of sybase and 2 versions of perl in our
environment:  5.005_3 and 5.6.0.  Some our "apps" have a header line that
causes them to run in the "old" environment.  Many of these apps have
failures of one sort or another when run in the "new" environment.

Sybperl was compiled with perl 5.6.0.  When Sybperl is invoked from 5.6.0,
it behaves as expected, but when invoked from under 5.005_03, it changes
$ENV{SYBASE} to the value that was used to build Sybperl.  The same problem
occurs whether using:
use Sybase::DBlib;
   or
use Sybperl;

We know that the apps need to be retrofitted to perl 5.6.0 (or 5.8.0), but
is there any workaround in the short run?

John