From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Sybperl with Sybase v.12
Date: Dec 29 2003 6:57PM

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 07:52, Merijn Broeren wrote:
> Quoting Michael Peppler (mpeppler@peppler.org):
> >
> > If you wish to use the 64-bit Sybase Client library, then you must use a
> > C compiler that can generate 64-bit code, and use (or build) a perl
> > binary in 64-bit mode as well.
> >
> Which I have just done for our Itanium platform. It all builds and tests
> well with 5.6.1 and 5.8.2. On closer inspection I noticed that when
> building against 64bit, with the BUILDTYPE=64 set in the CONFIG file
> only the libct64.so is linked against. Which works fine, but our 5.8.2
> is a threaded build. So I'd prefer to use the libct_r64.so libraries.

I've made this an automatic configuration in the upcoming 2.16 release
of sybperl, and in DBD::Sybase 1.03. However, I don't have a 64bit box
that I can test this on.

Could someone on a 64 bit box confirm that perl sets the "use64bitall"
Config.pm value to "defined" when you build it in 64bit mode?

If this is the case then we won't need the CONFIG file's BUILD_TYPE
value anymore, and we'll automatically check for the thread-safe
libraries if usethreads is set.