From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Sybperl with Sybase v.12
Date: Dec 12 2003 4:19PM

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 07:52, Merijn Broeren wrote:
> Quoting Michael Peppler (mpeppler@peppler.org):
> >
> > If you wish to use the 64-bit Sybase Client library, then you must use a
> > C compiler that can generate 64-bit code, and use (or build) a perl
> > binary in 64-bit mode as well.
> >
> Which I have just done for our Itanium platform. It all builds and tests
> well with 5.6.1 and 5.8.2. On closer inspection I noticed that when
> building against 64bit, with the BUILDTYPE=64 set in the CONFIG file
> only the libct64.so is linked against. Which works fine, but our 5.8.2
> is a threaded build. So I'd prefer to use the libct_r64.so libraries.
>
> I've now changed the Makefile.PL code to add _r64 to the lib names
> instead of just 64. Can we have a THREADSAFE=Y option in the CONFIG
> file? Or even better(?) a
>
> if ($Config{useithreads} || $Config{use5005threads}) { ... }
>
> or am I being overly paranoid? 5.8.2 with DBD-Sybase 1.01 and the 64 bit
> _r libraries test fine.

I'll add that. Phil Moore sent me a patch for the Sybase::CTlib module
quite some time ago for the _r libs (before there were 64 bit libs), and
for some reason I never ported this to the DBD::Sybase code line.

The _r libs are only needed if you are effectively going to do
multi-threaded programing, and accessing DBD::Sybase simultaneously from
multiple threads. Note however that I haven't tested DBD::Sybase for
thread-safeness, so there are no guarantees...